- Enhances virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) offerings with new Dell Wyse zero client end points and Dell EqualLogic storage arrays and software
- Introduces new end-to-end reference architectures developed in collaboration with VMware
- New cloud client computing offerings provide organizations increased security, management and lower total cost of ownership while giving users anywhere access to data on any device
Dell today announced an expansion to its cloud client computing offerings with an array of enhanced end points, storage solutions and reference architectures validated by VMware, enabling more organizations to embrace the flexibility, productivity and cost advantages of desktop virtualization.
As organizations offer tailored work style options to enhance worker productivity, attract and retain employees, and increase competitiveness, they increasingly consider desktop virtualization to enable their mobile workforce and embrace social media and BYOD (bring your own device) programs. With Dell’s announcements today, the company extends its position in delivering end-to-end virtual solutions that drive increased flexibility and performance and support organizations’ high performance application environments.
“Dell is clearly focused on delivering comprehensive enterprise solutions to help customers grow their businesses through more efficient, secure and cost-effective virtualized compute models. Dell is distinguishing itself from other market players by building its innovation and acquired IP into a portfolio of market-leading end-to-end virtualization solutions. Desktop virtualization models are gaining ground as today’s IT departments are looking to streamline IT management and more easily address data security and BYOD policies. Dell has a unique advantage to provide a combination of products and services that provide complete data center-to-endpoint scale to help customers address these growing challenges," said Matt Eastwood, Group Vice President, Enterprise Platform Research, IDC.
New Dell Wyse zero clients designed specifically for VMware View®
Dell today announced the availability of the newest members of the Dell Wyse P class family of PCoIP zero clients for VMware. The dual-display capable Dell Wyse P25 and quad-display capable Dell Wyse P45 are designed specifically for VMware View implementations, providing outstanding application delivery and resolve the challenges of provisioning, managing, maintaining and securing enterprise desktops through:
- Uncompromised graphics performance to deliver outstanding performance for graphics-intensive applications such as CAD, 3D Solids modeling, video editing and advanced productivity applications based on Teradici’s new
- Tera2 PCoIP processor
- Client side caching to reduce bandwidth consumption
- Simple set up and configuration, with centralized management for rapid time-to-value
- Enhanced security with zero client architecture and firmware without exposed APIs or application ports
- Broad extensibility supporting a wide range of peripherals
- Compact form factor and energy efficient for low power usage
New Dell storage arrays and VMware integration supports effective data management for VDI
The new Dell EqualLogic PS6510ES (10GbE) and PS6500ES (1GbE) “hybrid” storage arrays bolster the company’s end-to-end capabilities for VDI. They enable Dell to offer a first-time combination of high performance (SSD) and high capacity (NL-SAS) drive types in one, dense Dell EqualLogic 48-drive array.
Hosting up to 85 terabytes per array and up to two petabytes per Dell EqualLogic group, they excel in uses with large data sets serving multiple applications, including VDI implementations, data warehousing and online transactional databases. With auto-tiering, a new Dell EqualLogic PS6510ES hybrid array can deliver 360 percent improved IOPS performance with 75 percent reduced latency on tiered workloads as compared to the high performance PS6510X.* Dell’s automated tiering is a natural fit for VDI deployments by helping to prevent performance drains during potential “boot storms” when several hundreds of users simultaneously log-on to virtual desktops.
Additionally, new Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for VMware 3.5 provides centralized EqualLogic management from VMware vCenter™ Server plus new storage recovery replica capabilities. Its Virtual Desktop Deployment utility eases VDI management with automated and rapid deployment and provisioning of virtual desktops also from the VMware vCenter™ Server interface.
New Dell Reference Architectures designed and optimized for VMware View
Dell has extended its collaboration with its partner ecosystem to deliver three new desktop virtualization reference architectures, validated in conjunction with VMware in addition to Dell’s Desktop Virtualization Solutions for Government (DVS-Gov) also announced today.
- vStart for VDI Reference Architecture – VMware View: Running as a workload on top of the Dell vStart stack, this reference architecture offers the security, scalability and management capabilities of Dell’s DVS Enterprise solution plus one more level of simplification in deployment.
- Dell Mobile Clinical Computing - VMware AlwaysOn Point of Care™ Reference Architecture: Dell and VMware jointly validated reference architecture with VMware View enables data integrity as well as minimal disruption in computing service to the caregiver, including: constant monitoring, secure rapid access, single sign on and constant data replication across sites.
- New Dell DVS Enterprise – VMware Mobile Secure Desktop Reference Architecture: New reference architecture promotes more flexible and BYOD working styles by delivering session persistence and mobility across any qualified device to access personal desktops.
New Dell channel Desktop Virtualization Solutions Certification Competency
A new PartnerDirect Desktop Virtualization Solution competency will complement existing enterprise channel competencies and round out the end-to-end IT solution offering Dell channel partners need.
- Dell Wyse P25 and P45 are expected to be available in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Dell EqualLogic PS6510ES/PS6500ES and Host Integration Tools for VMware 3.5 are expected to be available in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- vStart for VDI 50 and vStart for VDI 1000 reference architectures are available now.
- Dell DVS – VMware Mobile Secure Desktop reference architecture is available now.
- Dell Mobile Clinical Computing - VMware AlwaysOn Point of Care reference architecture is available now.