VMworld 2012 – Solution Highlights
- VMware vSphere® Data Protection™, powered by EMC® Avamar® software, is an all-new backup and recovery solution to be included with VMware vSphere 5.1.
- VMware vSphere Data Protection is tightly integrated with vSphere, simple to set up and can be managed directly from the new vSphere Web Client.
- VMware vSphere Data Protection is ideally suited to protect SMBs and department-level virtualized environments with industry-leading backup and deduplication capabilities.
- VMware selected EMC Avamar software to provide the underlying technology for VMware vSphere Data Protection.
- VMware continues to be fully committed to enabling a rich partner ecosystem for backup and recovery solutions through the vSphere Storage APIs for Data Protection.
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) and VMware (NYSE: VMW) today announced a new backup and recovery solution for VMware vSphere® 5.1. The new VMware vSphere Data Protection™ solution is built on industry-leading EMC Avamar deduplication backup software technology and is delivered as a part of VMware vSphere 5.1. VMware vSphere Data Protection replaces vSphere Data Recovery – previously available with vSphere – providing a more cost-effective, reliable and easy-to-use solution to protect VMware environments.
VMware vSphere Data Protection leverages EMC Avamar software’s leading technology including variable-length deduplication, full support of Changed Block Tracking and single-step restores to minimize storage resource consumption, reduce backup windows and enable fast recovery. VMware vSphere Data Protection can be managed directly from the vSphere Web Client and takes advantage of the vSphere Storage APIs for Data Protection to enable agent-less backup.
In addition to VMware vSphere Data Protection, VMware continues to foster innovation in the backup for virtual environments supporting a broad partner community. VMware plans to continue investment in the vSphere Storage APIs for Data Protection to enable seamless integration of third-party backup and recovery with the VMware vSphere platform.