Silver Peak today announced that its data acceleration software has been VSPEX® Lab Validated as part of an EMC® VSPEX solution to address the challenges customers face when replicating data over long distances. Silver Peak for VSPEX combines wide area network (WAN) optimization software with virtual EMC RecoverPoint® to enable customers to deploy a proven infrastructure faster, without the risk and complexity of the traditional build-your-own approach.
EMC VSPEX provides customers the power to choose the hypervisor, server, and network technology they prefer to build and deploy private cloud and end user computing solutions based on EMC’s unified storage, backup and recovery solutions. Silver Peak’s software layers on top of the VSPEX with EMC RecoverPoint to solve the challenges of distance, bandwidth and packet loss when replicating data over the WAN. This enables customers to maximize available bandwidth for data protection, replicate more data in less time, and easily meet their recovery point objectives (RPOs).
“EMC VSPEX is a simple, efficient, and flexible solution optimized for the most popular use cases for customers moving to cloud computing,” said Gary Garcia, Director Global Solutions Marketing, VSPEX, EMC Corporation. “Silver Peak’s software-defined approach to data acceleration enables customers to further reduce their WAN bandwidth requirements and networking costs while taking advantage of EMC RecoverPoint replication over any distance.”
When combined with VSPEX for EMC RecoverPoint, Silver Peak and EMC enable customers to meet their RPOs regardless of WAN bandwidth, distance to remote locations, or quality of WAN (i.e. Internet VPN). Silver Peak software provides the following advantages when deployed as part of a VSPEX with RecoverPoint solution:
- Extend replication distance by reducing the impact of WAN latency. With Silver Peak and VSPEX for RecoverPoint, source/target arrays can be placed anywhere, ensuring business needs are not hampered by network limitations.
- Fix WAN quality issues like dropped and out-of-order packets so replication can have consistent performance across low cost WANs, like MPLS and Internet VPNs rather than expensive, dedicated WAN links.
- Prioritize replication traffic and guarantee bandwidth, so that voice, video, data and replication traffic can all coexist on one converged network. Silver Peak also complements EMC RecoverPoint with traffic shaping techniques that guarantee available bandwidth for replication traffic.
- Maximize available bandwidth through byte-level deduplication and compression: Silver Peak complements the deduplication in RecoverPoint by looking for recurring data patterns within data blocks and matching patterns across all applications sharing the WAN – not just RecoverPoint data.
- Secure replication data in transit using Accelerated IPsec encryption.
- Simplify deployment and troubleshooting with real-time dashboards that collect and display network conditions and monitor the performance of EMC replication traffic over the WAN.
- Take the guesswork out of sizing and deploying Silver Peak with EMC VNX® and EMC RecoverPoint through VSPEX proven architecture.
“Many EMC customers are already experiencing the benefits of Silver Peak replication acceleration,” said Marc Trimuschat, VP of alliances, Silver Peak. “Building on our long-standing strategic relationship with EMC, we are excited to offer this VSPEX Lab Validated solution that harnesses Silver Peak’s software-defined data acceleration and combines it with virtual EMC RecoverPoint and VNX storage in an easy to deploy VSPEX solution.”