Go Back   Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forum > Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums > Application Virtualization
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

News & Videos
Server, Desktop, Network

Share with us?
Tips, Rumors, News
Please contact us if you have an interesting news, tips, acquisition rumor, requests for guest blogging, case-studies, white papers and any other suggestions and/or ideas, etc..

simple game

This is a discussion on simple game within the Application Virtualization forum, part of the Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums category; Hello!!! I have a simple game for the PC (original language is C++). I want to make a portable version ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
User
fairly newbish

Inquizitor is on a distinguished road
Default simple game

Hello!!!
I have a simple game for the PC (original language is C++). I want to make a portable version of this game (without installation), so users can play it without having to install (at work, for example!). What technologies for creating and using portable games do you know?
I know about the open graphics library, but it is too complicated for me. Maybe there is something easier?
Inquizitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
User

Robert Miles is on a distinguished road

If You wanted your application to be copy-able (being able to copy the whole game folder to another machine and run it) you should make sure that all required resources and libraries are located in this directory.
On Windows settings should be loaded from %appdata% and if they can't be found they should be created with some default values that make sense.

However if you want your game to be a single file it gets a bit more complicated.
You will have to use statically linked libraries (.lib files, not static linking of .dll's).
The resources will have to be added as actual ressource files by the linker or you just append them to your executable by using the copy command. I would prefer the second one, as mentioned before if you look for sfx archives you will find how they build their stub. The advantage is that code and resource compilation is not dependent on another. And if you're clever you will be able to remove appended ressources from you executable and replace them with new ones, no recompile neccessary.
Robert Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
User
fairly newbish

What software should I use??
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
User

Hi! Perhaps it would be useful for you to read information on the site PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives
+ read about thinapp, xenapp, vmware, boxedapp...
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
User
fairly newbish

Thank you, Robert! I spent a little research and realized that I needed
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
User

Always glad to help. If you have questions - please contact me
Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
User

Kumar is on a distinguished road

What do you mean when you say "portable"?
Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
User
fairly newbish

I mean that it is application that does not require registry entries, can be transferred to another computer using the USB drive.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
User

Kumar is on a distinguished road

Portable software is a class of software that is suitable for use on portable drives such as a USB (thumb) drive or digital audio player or PDA with "drive mode", although any external hard drive can be used. The concept of carrying one's favored applications, utilities, and files on a portable drive for use on any computer is one which has evolved considerably in recent years.
Programs in this category (also known as portable applications) are typically 'lite' versions of their parent software, but there are many exceptions.
To be considered portable, for purpose of this list, a computer program must:
Not require any kind of formal installation onto a computer's permanent storage device to be executed, and can be stored on a removable storage device such as USB flash drive, enabling it to be used on multiple computers.
Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote