Go Back   Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forum > Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums > General Discussions
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

News & Videos
Server, Desktop, Network

Share with us?
Tips, Rumors, News
Please contact us if you have an interesting news, tips, acquisition rumor, requests for guest blogging, case-studies, white papers and any other suggestions and/or ideas, etc..

Please advise on starting point

This is a discussion on Please advise on starting point within the General Discussions forum, part of the Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums category; I am sure that the answers I seek are to be found all over this forum. But by the time ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
User

rshields9093 is on a distinguished road
Default Please advise on starting point

I am sure that the answers I seek are to be found all over this forum. But by the time I found this wonderful source of information I was already brain dead from hours of Google research. I hope you will all forgive my newbie questions and help point me in a useful direction. Right now I feel like I am floundering in many incorrect directions.

My situation is this: I provide support for a system containing 5 computers. This system is fielded in 9 different locations. So I have drive images of 5 times 9 computers (45 drives).

To help me in my support tasks, I would like to virtualize on my workstation 5 computers as analogs of the actual 5 machines that comprise our system. I would then like to be able to mount (not even sure if that is the correct terminology in this context) the correct drive images for each of the 5 virtual machines to replicate an actual fielded system's configuration (complete with networking between the 5 virtualized computers).

All my drive images were taken with Acronis, so it would be a nice bonus if some product could mount these images directly.

So given this rather modest virtualization requirement, I would like some recommendations on the best virtualization product to handle this setup and preferably one that is simple to use for a beginner. Also, if my expectations are out of whack, please advise me on where I am going wrong and perhaps point me in a more productive direction.

Thank you very much in advance for any help that can be provided.
rshields9093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
forum regular

WebMaster has disabled reputation

Hi rshields9093,

Welcome to Virtualization.net. It sounds like you need to be able to run 5 computer lab on your workstation/one pc. What you need is Vmware workstation which will allow you to create virtual machines on your laptop or desktop and be able to work with 5 additional "computers" (VMs) on the same workstation.

Does that make sense?
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
User

jenniferscott is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am a Jennifer, i like this forum and enjoy. Hear i am new education related topic discussion. I am new site launch for defecation related, there u have many more IT related courses and materials. Provided by every courses training program.
jenniferscott is offline   Reply With Quote