Go Back   Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forum > Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums > Server Virtualization
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

News & Videos
Server, Desktop, Network

Share with us?
Tips, Rumors, News
Please contact us if you have an interesting news, tips, acquisition rumor, requests for guest blogging, case-studies, white papers and any other suggestions and/or ideas, etc..

A few questions on where to begin with VMWare

This is a discussion on A few questions on where to begin with VMWare within the Server Virtualization forum, part of the Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums category; I have been tasked with building a Host server this week. We have some upcoming projects where virtualizing will be ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
User

gilldawg79 is on a distinguished road
Default A few questions on where to begin with VMWare

I have been tasked with building a Host server this week. We have some upcoming projects where virtualizing will be used. The vendors that we will be using support VMware ESXi 4.1, and Vsphere. What we wanted to do this week is build a test box so we can familiarize ourselves with it and talk intelligently with our vendors about it. I come from IT but have spent the last 5 years in Process Control, so I am a little rusty. I am familiar with virtualization, but by no means am I ready to build a box tonight.

I have done some digging around, but I am a bit overwhelmed at all the software from VMware.

The best I understand, VMware ESXi is the hypervisor (CLI COS) is this the small footprint OS to initially build my Virtualized Servers?

Vsphere: Is this a client that I load on another machine to configure/supervise my virtual servers?

The test box we are going to use is an older Dell 2950. I believe it is a 32 bit machine. Can I load VMware ESXi 4.1 on it? This is the version that we need to use as per our vendors.

Basically, we would like to use the 2950 for a test Host, and load a couple of different OS's on it....Probably just some desktop OS's to start with. However, if it's best to just go ahead and load the server OS's for practice we could do that too.

Anyways, just looking for some direction and where to get started.

I would like to purchase a book to help me along the way.....Any suggestions? I was leaning toward the Dummies book, because it looks like it may be geared toward what we are doing.....

Thanks!!

Jimmy G.
gilldawg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
User

monaro800 is on a distinguished road

Im quite certan VMWare like Citrix require a x64_86 CPU.

At a quick glance your server has NO AMD-V or Intel Equilivant, without those you wont be able to run any windows guest. Dont hold me to it, i like you am new to this, but ive already had a crack at Citrix and it dont play nice
monaro800 is offline   Reply With Quote