Go Back   Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forum > Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums > Server Virtualization
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

News & Videos
Server, Desktop, Network

Share with us?
Tips, Rumors, News
Please contact us if you have an interesting news, tips, acquisition rumor, requests for guest blogging, case-studies, white papers and any other suggestions and/or ideas, etc..

Limmited Options

This is a discussion on Limmited Options within the Server Virtualization forum, part of the Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums category; Hi All, I am new to Virtualization, but i am about to take the plunge even though i have some ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
User

monaro800 is on a distinguished road
Default Limmited Options

Hi All,

I am new to Virtualization, but i am about to take the plunge even though i have some very limmited options.

I have 30 or so operating systems installed across 4 servers now, and whilst thats not a problem, i dont always remember whats where, and with power bills escalating i cant afford the 100 a month or so these suckers get through.

So i plan on cannibalizing 3 of the 4 servers, to give me one big platform to VM From.

Hardware
HP Proliant DL 385 G1 @ 2.2Ghz x 4
8GB DDR ECC
Dual Embeded Gigabit LAN
Dual 10GE PCI-X Adapter
6 x 72GB SCSI U320 15K Disks HP 6/i Controller
iLO

Additional Storage
Network Attached Storage - 2TB 20Disks Dual GE Connectivity

Can anyone point me in the right directon for VM's ill only be running 2 maybe 3 at a time, and there not demanding on resorces so it shouldnt be that big a deal, but i dont even know where to start, do i take the hypervisor route or do i simply take the Software VMWare Server route??

Any advice is appreciated
monaro800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
User

monaro800 is on a distinguished road

Multipathing is supported by this hardware so far as i can work out! Incase thats a factor
monaro800 is offline   Reply With Quote