Go Back   Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forum > Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums > Server Virtualization
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

News & Videos
Server, Desktop, Network

Share with us?
Tips, Rumors, News
Please contact us if you have an interesting news, tips, acquisition rumor, requests for guest blogging, case-studies, white papers and any other suggestions and/or ideas, etc..

Thoughts on personal virtual server environment?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on personal virtual server environment? within the Server Virtualization forum, part of the Virtualization & Cloud Computing Forums category; Hey folks, Quick background. I'm a master's student right now but i'm really into virtualization. I got my VCP and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
User

enigma1 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Thoughts on personal virtual server environment?

Hey folks,

Quick background. I'm a master's student right now but i'm really into virtualization. I got my VCP and have used Autolabs as well as some great books to get there. I built everything on my desktop PC which served me well but I would like to get more into vCloud Director and start taking virtualization to the next level. I don't have the kind of money needed to invest in actual servers but I've been thinking of building out the following (roughly $2700), and would like your input as to if you think I'll be able to achieve success with vCD and other virtualization learning labs on the following:

* (2)x Micro ATX desktops each with the following:
* 40gig SATA HD's (just to house ESXi)
* 32 Gigs DDR PC1600 G.Skill Ram
* I7 - 2600k quad-core Processor
* Generic CPU Cooler
* 350 watt PSU
* No CD-Drive (I have an external usb drive I will use to setup these machines)

NAS:
* Synology DS1512+
* (5) Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/

Router:
* TP-LINK SafeStream TL-R600VPN Gigabit Broadband VPN Router

What are your thoughts? I figure with 2 desktops running the previously mentioned specs I figure I can run between 16-18 VM's with roughly 4GB ram each while accessing their data via iSCSI off of the NAS. Is this a safe assumption?

If you were in my shoes would this be a direction you'd consider taking as well? Any thoughts, ideas, comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
enigma1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, lab, vmware