Testing VMs using Xen

Discussion in 'Network Virtualization' started by TitoX, Aug 30, 2010.

1. TitoX

TitoX Just Deployed

Hi,
    I would like to learn how to use the Xen tool. In order to learn I would like to setup and manage some kind of virtual network, (eg. organization, school) and test some factors or dimensions that could be used for measurements.

Therefore, I need some suggestions for one or more scenario, both suggestions to the network I can setup, and the factors that may be documented within this network?

2. WebMaster

WebMaster Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Admin Post
    Hi TitoX,

Are you trying to setup a test environment for a school using Citrix XenServer?

What applications are you going to virtualize?

How many users?

I would start off by capturing IOps on those applications for 23-25 hours in middle of the week and then work out a plan on what equipment you would need to virtualize those applications.

If you just want to play with virtualization, then a home lab type setup may help you.

3. TitoX

TitoX Just Deployed

Than you for your answer!

I was thinking a virtual lab of 8-10 hosts, I am not sure about the applications that should run.. but there should be some kind of application that are easy to mesure. The network should be a "pretendable" network, so I will do all the activities my self on my server where my virtual LAN I am running.

If it is posible I would like to mesure the:
    1. Mesure noise on Lan
    2. mesure how fast can I write data to my filesystem? (with at least 1GB free)
    as well as some kind of mesurements on an application...

But I am not sure how to?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010