This training course explores new features in VMware vCenter Server™ 5.1 and VMware ESXi™ 5.1.
By the end of the course, you should gain an understanding and should be able to implement the following new functions and features of VMware vSphere® 5.1:
- Compute and Storage
- Support for hardware version 9, the latest CPU performance counters and virtual shared graphics acceleration designed for enhanced performance.
- For better space efficiency vSphere supports storage space reclamation for VDI.
- Support for VXLAN
- Enhanced vSphere Distributed Switch™ that supports:
- Network health check
- Backup and restore
- Rollback and recovery
- Link Aggregation Control Protocol support
- Single-root I/O virtualization (SR-IOV)
- VMware vSphere vMotion® without the need for shared storage configurations.
- VMware vSphere Data Protection for simple and cost effective backup and recovery,
- vSphere Replication enables efficient array-agnostic replication of virtual machine data over the LAN or WAN.
- Security: Inclusion VMware vShield Endpoint™ to eliminate the agent footprint from the virtual machines, offload intelligence to a security virtual appliance, and run scans with minimal impact.
- Automation: Two new methods for deploying new vSphere hosts to an environment make the Auto Deploy™ process more highly available than ever before.
- VMware vCenter Enhancements:
- vSphere Web Client
- vCenter Single Sign-On
- VSA enhancements
- Support for Additional Disk Drives
- Increase Storage Capacity Online
- vCenter running on the VSA Cluster
Prerequisites: Attendance at one of these VMware vSphere 5.0 courses:
- Install, Configure, Manage
- Fast Track
- What’s New
- Or equivalent vSphere 5.0 administration experience