Its been almost 3 months since VMware released an update for its vSphere 4 product. I’ve began upgrading my lab and clients and wanted to share this little how to guide to help you upgrade as well.
So let us begin and prepare the host for an upgrade:
- vMotion all virtual machines from the host and put the host in Maintenance Mode.
- Install vSphere CLI (more info and download here)
Upgrade the ESX/ESXi host from 4.1 to 4.1 Update 1:
- Download the ZIP bundle to a location that is accessible by the vSphere CLI.
- Run this command to install the esxupdate bulletin:
- vihostupdate –server 192.168.1.222 -i -b c:/downloads/upgrade-from-esxi4.0-to-4.1-update01.zip -B ESXi410-GA-esxupdate
- Run this command to install the upgrade bulletin:
- vihostupdate –server 192.168.1.222 -i -b c:/downloads/upgrade-from-esxi4.0-to-4.1-update01.zip -B ESXi410-GA
- Run this command to verify if the bulletins are installed:
- vihostupdate.pl –server 192.168.1.222 –query
- Reboot the host to complete the upgrade.
- Upgrade VMware tools in the virtual machines.
Change IP address (DNS name) listed in the steps above to reflect your virtualization environment/IP scheme. Remember, virtualization setup maybe different in your environment than described here so please backup your virtual machines and ESXi host configuration as virtualization.net or myself are not responsible if you make any mistakes.
If you have any questions or need help, post in our Virtualization Forums.
Happy keeping your hosts up-to-date!